Monday, August 10, 2015

It's Turtles All The Way Down


     Introduction:
     From mid Kentucky to Lexington this week. As I write, I am preparing to leave the city which I only planned on spending a single night in but ended up staying for five!
     So instead of writing what I've been writing I started writing something else. If you want that story continued someone better leave a comment! I pretty much finished it but need to take the time to type it in here and would rather write new stuff. Not that I have the time for either! Once I get up to South Bend though I will have plenty of time to write, so if anyone is enjoying any of my words you can look forward to that. I know I am!
   

     Music:
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4



     Food Review:
 On my way out of the city, I decided to grab some bagel carbs at this colorful location.
Third Street Stuff sits a bit North-East of the immediate downtown,
acting as a hub for this side of the city.
 And on the way inside, I met Samantha!
Just one of many awesome people that are attracted to the energy of this awesome little place.
 Couches, board games, color, and cool people.
Everything one needs to promote the most positive eating environment!
 The prices are a bit expensive, but it's hard to be concerned when the staff is so friendly and personable and the food is delicious and local!
 There's a lot of space inside to do the whole "Chill out at the cafe and feed off the vibes" thing.
 They ran out of avocado for my veggie bagel ):
But it was amazing anyways! A good bagel sure makes my day.
Their pesto cream cheese is amazing too, so I didn't even miss the fatty green fruit.
 This place was so great, I had to go back inside and break some bread with my new friend!
Those muffins are gluten free yet somehow moist and delicious.
Final Verdict: Third Street Stuff is one of the coolest cafes around and it attracts some of the coolest people around. If you are in Lexington for whatever reason—this is the place to be!
Be sure to check out Samantha's event: Artuscape!
Next one is August 20th at 903 Manchester Street!
If you're lucky you can grab one of her hand-made limited edition Kentucky shaped pillows!


     Bike Shop Review:
     Just a bit out of the way from the University of Kentucky, but only a few blocks from Third Street Stuff and other locations along Limestone Drive, sits Lexington's newest bike shop, The Broom Wagon! Named after the dreadful van in big bike races which picks up the stragglers along the track, owners Adam, James, and Tiffany hope to attract the "everyday cyclist" rather than the Neil Armstrongs of the world.
     And attract they will, for in addition to a clean little bike shop offering standard repairs and bike parts for sale, there exists an entire other half of the store—a cafe! Yes, a cafe is literally a part of this bike shop! Offering local coffee, lattes, tea, and milkshakes (alcohol licence on the way), The Broom Wagon is expected to be a gathering point for the cyclist community of the area.
 Co-founder Adam and I talk navigation in the shop.
 Co-Founder James tells me the details of the $5,000 water filtration system they invested it.
As a thirsty cyclist, I can not only appreciate that, but feel appreciated as well.
I happily filled up my camelbak (:
 The man on the right is the founder of another cyclist repair shop, Broke-Spoke.
However, rather than attempting arson on this new competition, welcomes another location for the community
The three founders pose behind the cafe counter with "The best barista in town!"
Broom Wagon is at 804 Limestone, Lexington, KY, at the corner of E Loudon Street.
They expect be open by August 17th, 2015.
Whether you want to have a coffee while you wait for a bike repair or just want to experience a scene of friendly cyclists, check out Broom Wagon when they open up!


     Writing:
     My eyes widened.
     "I mean yeah, I ride my bicycle a lot I guess. Sure, I can go pretty far ina day or whatever, but I can't do this. I just never rode my bike like that before... But wow, it's damn cool."
     My new friend and gracious host James had just led me, along with some other cyclists that joined us along the way, to Coolavin Park for what I was told was going to be a romping night of "Bike Polo."
     Clearly up my alley, I was pretty excited. I pictured a group of happy people happily riding their bicycles around in circles on a field of nice soft grass with nice soft pillows on sticks (my juvenile idea of a polo stick apparently) poking nicely a nice soft gatorskin ball.
     Actual Bike Polo is much different.
     The first warning came when James began to tell me, "You don't want to use your bike for this. Don't worry, you can borrow someones."
     "Why ever not?" I thought. Lionheart is my steed. I'm ready to ride atop him into battle!
     "Bikes get broken and smashed a lot, and yours is pretty nice. Plus you kinda need it a lot right now, right?"
     "I guess you're right..." I was sad about it but if some serious damage occurred that could be a big headache, the risk being easily avoided by letting my cross country investment sit this one out. But wait a second. Bikes getting smashed? Just what kind of game is this?
     We arrived at the courts. I would learn later that the space used to be three dilapidated tennis courts which the cycling community around here fixed up. And by fixed up I mean completely redid! The courts had been repaved with relatively smooth concrete now. Each court was separated by a four-foot wall of wood, painted orange. The words, "Lexington Bike Polo" painted in large print on the side of the wall.
     When we came into the gate, heavy with the wooden wall built onto the fence, a dozen or so cyclists were already there, sitting around on top of the wall or just standing. 'Twas quite the chill scene. The other two courts were filled with twice as many people, but they were all playing soccer. A boy of about eight arrived to the court and rode by me on his bike, metal polo stick in one hand, and starred me down with a frightening grimace. Seeing the dangerous equipment for the game, and perhaps for its accompaniment with an intimidating child, I began to feel a little worried. I hopped up on the wall and began chatting with the happy people—at least I was right about that.
     "Are you the dude that's riding across the country?"
     "Ah, yeah, that's me! This is really cool though. I can't wait to play Bike Polo!
     "You've never played before?"
     "No. Sounds cool though."
     "They're about to start a round. You should watch first."
     "Good idea. What are the rules anyways?"
     "Well, it's just like hockey, but you can't let your feet touch the ground. And no attacking another player's front wheel."
     "Can't put your feet down? That sounds incredibly difficult. By the way, name's Justin." And I extended my hand.
     "Chris." We shook, and continued our conversation about riding bicycles from point A to point B. The Poloers were soon ready, lined up on their sides, and the game began.
     That's when my eyes widened.
     The poloers were amazing. They flew around the court on their beat up yet fully functional mountain bikes with grace and gusto, all the while flinging a metal bat around trying to smash a small hockey ball into the other teams goal. They bunny hopped in place, only touching the ground when they messed up and fell off the bike onto the hard concrete. They clashed each other's polo sticks like swords deflecting each other from controlling the ball. They came drifting to the ball on their sides, catching and moving it. It was really amazing, and I watched in awe and fear for a while.
   
     To be continued later
   
   
     Pictures:
 Leaving Booneville, the ol' Daniel himself tried to convince me to stay with some reasonably priced prescription drugs.
No thank ya' Mr. Boone.
 Veteran memorial in Beattyville.

 Rowell of Los 2 Brothers—an amazing restaurant offering latine cuisine in Beattyville—poses across from the veggie fajita that they graciously offered me.
Thanks guys!

 The basement space at Miguel's Pizza.
This is an awesome place, nestled along rt. 11 in the Daniel Boone National Forest.
Lots of rock climbers come through here for the amazing cliffs in the area.
 One of two final independent truck drivers for the locally made soda, Ale8, John works hard every day delivering this iconic flavor around the area.
 My new friends shared with me some of their vegetarian chill—my favorite!
The delivery man convinced me to try an Ale8.
Now difficult to find, the thicker heavier bottle featured here helps protect the sodas flavor.
 Kentucky.
 Action shot!
 Man and nature live in precarious balance...
For now.
 Soda machines are everywhere in the South.
Including by playgrounds, outside most businesses, hospital entrances, etc.
 Camped in the front lawn of a church.
 I eat a healthy breakfast whenever possible.
 Outside the Bluegrass Heritage Museum, Ruth lets me try one of her famous brownies.
They are famous for a reason! Wow!
 Another nice place in Lexington.
Their chilled coffees are their specialty!
 This little guy woke me up!
I am thankful I was able to find a comfy couch to sleep on my first night in Lexington.
"I can only fix the world as far as my two hands can reach." ~ Victor Hammer
 Street art is alive and well in Lexington, as Gretchen here shows us.
 "Sometimes people will join in! Some kids added their own touch to the mural over there!"
 And then you find yourself in a chill room gettin' started at by a loud cat.
Just across from the Hope Center, Lexington's overcrowded and underfunded homeless shelter, is the Legacy Trail, my escape from the city.
I look back and reflect on how fortunate I am to have the means and capability to fly off, as I do, while most of the people who stay at the shelter are stuck there. The difference between myself and them—the difference between each of us really—the breath of a hair or a turn away.
I will be back here, in Lexington, but in what capacity?
The answer to that is completely dependent on my actions—or so I'd like to think.
See ya'll next time!

6 comments:

  1. Lexington looks so cool! Thanks for sharing so much of your journey with us, Justin. Can't wait for next week's update :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I thought the music was going to be this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was cool to meet you in Cincinnati at Arnold's Bar And Grill

    ReplyDelete
  4. (also please post more of the floaty-glowy story)

    ReplyDelete