Monday, June 8, 2015

Unexpected Turns - A New Chapter of the Journey Begins


     Music:
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd20sr5OIrw


     Pictures:
  This man's name is Lotz.
He taught me the art of the sign.
Which is part of the ancient art of asking.
Remember—be careful what you ask for.
 After sleeping on the concrete step of some chapel for three hours I kinda felt like crap, so I treated myself to a Yerba Mate at this nice cafe.
The nice cashier gave me some free iced tea and lemon water.
Just what I needed.
 Not wanting to sleep outside again, I worked for a day at this farm for room and board.
Amazing people (and amazing food). My time there shall be remembered.
I met these cool dudes through another cool person that I met by chance at a farmer's market.
We played magic cards in this park at midnight!
 This is the first time I have ever jammed!
I'm still working on learning the harmonica but I hope I did well enough.
 We got Father Time on guitar!
Ki'ev on drum!
Sara on vocals and ukelele! (she's gonna be famous one day for sure!)
And Justin on Harmonica!
THIS WAS SO COOOOOL!!!
 This is one of my favorite moments of my journey so far.
I plan to continue blowin' into that thing 'til I can reeeally play it!
And I can't wait to jam again!
Asheville was SO rad that if I didn't escape when I did I may never have left!
I'll definitely return one day.
So long Asheville! Coolest city so far!
 Camped along another beautiful river, The French Broad!
 Good Morning (:
Welcome to Tennessee!
 That's the arm that broke!
The fated camp site.
I wonder, had I kept riding, would I have avoided my injury?
Logic implies yes, but I truly believe that if we don't learn our lessons, it is only a matter of time before they are taught to us. Again and again if necessary.


     And when I was brought low:
     (This was the original post. Everything else was added in afterwards).
     First of all, I want to apologize to anyone reading this. Last week I wrote about conceit vs. low self-esteem, and I feel I have to admit now that I had grown conceited. Not so much in the way that I thought I was better than anyone else, but more in my general capabilities. Certainly, I'm a decent cyclist, and I suppose that's nice. However, there's more to the world than feet rotating pedals, and I have so so much to learn. I think it is important for all of us to remember that no matter who we are, what we've done, or what we're doing; we have so so much to learn.
     Secondly, I want to admit that I have been gluttonous. I tried pairing that gluttony with extreme generosity to counteract it' but it doesn't work that way. We aught be as generous as we can be anyways, not use good deeds to excuse or balance out any of our behavior we know to be unrighteous.
     What am I really trying to do out here? What am I looking for? What am I trying to accomplish?
Am I just gallivanting around the country on a bicycle, taking hand-outs from people that think it's cool? Are my words, either from mouth, pen, or hand, just wind? I am truly trying to improve myself here—to work on my weaknesses and grow to a stronger person—but perhaps I am having too much fun.
     So I failed. I messed up. I blew it and I'm sorry. Climbing onto a log, I placed my foot on a piece of wood jutting out and began lifting myself, but the wood was rotted and it collapsed. I feel, and my arm slipped in between two crossing beams of fallen tree.
     Snap.
     I broke my left arm.
     It's really all my fault. I see this as punishment for my aforementioned transgressions.
     I want everyone to know though that I am not giving up. This is part of my journey. Another trial to overcome. Another mountain to climb. I guess I'll be stuck in Tennessee for a while though haha! After all, I do believe I have said that I would die before returning home in failure. I meant that.
     Most of this week was an adventure in Asheville, which was an awesome city by the way! That'll have to wait for a while though. My things are safe, but I don't know where they are. Much of my stuff I may be parting with as well..
     Regardless, my goal remains clear. To cross this country using my own power—my own two legs. Even brought low, I shall not quit. Thank you all for believing in me. We struggle through the darkness to reach the light. Love you all <3


     Poetry:

     "Never Stop Improving"

     Upon wings of Steel my pride grew strong
     Over mountains and valleys I flew along
     For what was I searching? For what did I long?
     To be better? Deserving? Oh! I was so wrong.

     And as I received that which I sought
     Small gratitude in my heart was wrought
     More and more. Gifts given for naught
     More and more. To consume was why I fought

     Corruption. Temptation. So easily lured
     Sweet voice of truth—bitter choice to go unheard
     And even after breaking my word
     Still a hand outstretched—if only I'd learned

     Thus my wings were clipped and so I fell
     Once descended 'tis clear to tell
     Each sign ignored as conscious would yell
     Timeless presence with pain and ones failure is hell

     Yet from this pit we can escape if we fight
     Goodness give us strength. Wisdom give us sight
     We stride through darkness of night
     For the greater the darkness, the greater the light.

8 comments:

  1. Log saved novice hiker's life by teaching basic life formula!!: PL>B, where B is the cost (burden) of taking precautions, and P is the probability of loss (L). L is the gravity of loss. The product of P x L must be a greater amount than B for hiker to take an action. "too much fun", really?? 150 pounds on jutted wood = B not even close to P x L there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. borezor is right. The cost of taking precautions in microdecisions such as "Should I use this log to advance instead of this short trail?" is very low compared to the significant probability of harm and the gravity of the harm if it does occur. Though no one is safe from injury, rational people using cost-benefit analysis would have never been injured here by putting their weight on a log while climbing.

      Delete
    2. I think borezor is on to something

      Delete
  2. Bicycle touring doesn't have to be unpleasant or dangerous, and many people do get across the USA every summer without getting hurt.

    Not to get too into it, I started the 4,000 mile ride with a friend and we just knew we were going to make it all the way together. She made it roughly 300 miles before deciding to quit. That was stressful enough but we were sharing gear as to cut down on weight and you can guess how that went. No arguing really just more to worry and think about.
    I thru-hiked the AT as well. Did it with my ex-girlfriend. She was my ex from the get go on that trip. When I wanted to hike separately from her, I couldn't. All of our gear was intertwined. I left at like two in the morning from a tiny town in Maine. I walked for several hours (got in a fight with a skunk), got my gear out to go to sleep and realized I had taken the tent poles with me. I hitched back to her the next morning and we made up. In the long run though I wished I had my own gear so I could've kept walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The universe has a funny way of sending us signs. Breaking your arm, while a really sucky situation, reads more like "slow down" to me than a punishment. This is just one person's opinion, but if this injury is keeping you in Tennessee for awhile, then there is probably something in Tennessee that the universe wants you to stick around for. Something that will benefit you, someone else, possibly (probably) both. No need to kick yourself for accepting help that was offered to you. There were probably times you could have said no and been perfectly fine, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would have been better that way. What good is anything if you're not enjoying yourself? You should have fun, even if it seems like "too much fun", as you put it. Anyway, I'm rambling now, but that's my two cents. Hope the arm feels better soon, sending healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Tennessee! That's where I was going to move if not for Oregon. Bones take a year to heal, take care.

    ReplyDelete